TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Motivation block and fear

CockerSpaniel

• +0/-0
  • Make time to find the things that you love
    • View Profile
Motivation block and fear
« on: July 26, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »
(sorry, English is not my native language)

I was wondering if you have some tips for me.

I started with the painting of Matt's dog.
It's working out really well.
But for several day's now I'm afraid to work on it.
I constantly feel like I'm going to mess it up.
It blocks me to enjoy drawing and paining.

I know I'm just supposed to relax and allow myself to learn and make mistakes.
But I can say that to myself but still feel blocked.

When I start working on a my drawing of the dog it's taking me a lot of energie and concentration.
I feel tired just looking at my dog-drawing. So I've left it alone for several days know.
A pity because I've enjoyed Matt's courses a lot (I just started) and started to draw and paint almost every day.
Painting/drawing along with Matt in the life lessons keeps me a lot more relaxed.
But doing it on my one with the lessons seems to be a different case (cup of tea?).

I was wondering if some of you also have some sort of experience like this.
And maybe some of you have tips for me?

Humburger

• +0/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
Re: Motivation block and fear
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 11:42:09 AM »
I don't know how helpful I will be, but here are some thoughts based on my own experiences.  I deal with fear in my art, too.  Sometimes, I am afraid to start and, sometimes, I am afraid to finish.  I have started telling myself that it is not going to blow up the world if I mess up this particular artwork.  If I mess up, I can do it again, or do something different.  Messing up and wasting materials and time is really the only way I am going to improve.  I still deal with the fear, which saps all my energy and creativity and motivation, but I believe I am slowly and painfully making progress through it.  Just keep going, do not give up.  Do it when you don't feel like doing it.  Do it all the time.  Just do it.  It will get easier and you will get better.  It will also become easier to make messes and start over.  You know, sometimes, when drawing a portrait, I erase and start over on a particular part of the drawing so many times that I wonder how I am not wearing a hole in the paper.  But, in the end, I usually gain something: either a good portrait or a lesson learned.  And I ALWAYS gain experience.  So, just do it!  Go for it!  Do NOT give up!  It is worth it.  :-)

CockerSpaniel

• +0/-0
  • Make time to find the things that you love
    • View Profile
Re: Motivation block and fear
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2017, 06:35:36 PM »
Thank you Humburger.
The feelings you are describing are just what I was referring to.
Thanks for sharing, it really helps me not feeling so alone in this.
And I will take you're advice.
I'll just go on and do it!!!...even when I feel like I don't want to touch the paper.
I'll share a picture of the end result of the dog when it is finished!
thanks.