TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Share Your Art / Re: First Oil Pastel Portrait. Need some advice
« Last post by izzychase on August 17, 2017, 04:23:46 PM »
Soooo, I did some experimenting, and came up with what seems to me a solution I should have thought of.  I am going to chalk (hehe) this miss up to my inexperience with working in color.

What I initially tried to do was take browns and yellows out of my box and apply them over the blue.  Blue being an extremely powerful color pulled them toward blue thus resulting in the green tint. 

So after some studying on elementary color theory, It appears that the way to mix browns is by adding two complimentary colors.  Looking at my color wheel I see directly across from blue is orange.  Like magic, when I add bright orange, I get brown close to the darker color of the hair in my painting.  It requires a little adjustment, but with a few other orange-ish hues, I can get the full range of browns and blonds found in kylee's hair. 

I couldn't get a snapshot of the color sample small enough to post in the reply, sorry.  I really wanted to show it as it was shocking how bright the orange that solved the problem was.  Yall will just have to believe me and wait for the finished product. :)

Suggest and Share / Art Shows, Etc.
« Last post by Humburger on August 17, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
I would love to have a class or article or whatever that teaches about how to go about displaying or showing your art in the community.  I know nothing about any of it.  There are galleries and shows and fests and other things in my community, but I am totally ignorant about how to even stick my toe in the water.  I want to do it and I am being encouraged to do it, but how do I go about it?  I have attempted to reach out, but sometimes people are very snobbish about it and it is difficult to break through the wall.  I suppose they all must have had their first time, but it seems that once you are in (and it must have been a difficult process) then you are one of the elite and there is no room for anyone else.  I know that it is possible.  Do I have to build my own gallery?  Yikes!  I may as well cut off my ear and move into my cave.  (Oh, the drama!)  LOL!  Seriously, how do we go about showing our artwork?

Thank you. :)
Share Your Art / Re: Portraits
« Last post by Humburger on August 17, 2017, 01:21:40 PM »
Wow.  Thanks everyone for the nice comments.  I have done many more since this post.  But, right now, I am struggling to get back in the groove.  I need to complete a portrait of my father and then move on.  Sometimes, it is so hard.  Emotions get in the way.  LOL!  Thanks, again, for the encouragement.  It is nice to have a place to interact with others on the same journey.  :-)

Share Your Art / Re: Zooey Deschanel
« Last post by Humburger on August 17, 2017, 01:19:13 PM »
Daniel, that is very nice.  Although, it is all beautiful, my favorite part is the blouse.  Lovely rendering. 
Share Your Art / Zooey Deschanel
« Last post by Daniel Y on August 17, 2017, 03:42:58 AM »
Zooey Deschanel
Graphite / Re: Which paper should I use?
« Last post by Daniel Y on August 17, 2017, 03:28:01 AM »
I was a bit off in my description of what paper is what.IN regard to Bristol. it indicates it is a multi ply paper. in addition to Vellum and smooth you will also find Medium, Hot press and Cold press. By far the most recommended paper I have seen is Strathmore 300 series. One of those recommendations comes from a professional that I also have the ability to discuss that choice. Some of the reasons for finding other paper unsatisfactory have been. will not withstand erasing, fibers lifting off the surface, off color, not correct texture, inconsistent quality, lack of acid free, among others. I am currently working with two commonly used Bristol Vellums. Canson and Strathmore 300 series. I am also trying out Blick brand Bristol Vellum. I pretty much only buy Vellum now because if you use the back side it is very similar to smooth. The only other paper I use is Marker Paper for small portraits.
Share Your Work From the Tutorials / Re: Module 8,9,10 Matt's Dog
« Last post by fiveinthehive on August 17, 2017, 03:23:11 AM »
I love his eyes. Well done all round. I am about to give Willy a try. Should be a challenge, I hope my drawing turns out half as good as yours. Keep up the great work.

Thanks so much Pam it was definitely a challenge, I didn't think I could do it but happy with the result.
Share Your Work From the Tutorials / Re: Module 8,9,10 Matt's Dog
« Last post by fiveinthehive on August 17, 2017, 03:21:35 AM »
This is awesome. I like his fur and mouth the best

Thanks so much  :)
Share Your Art / Re: Copyright Issues
« Last post by Pam Stork on August 17, 2017, 12:35:47 AM »
Thanks DanielY, very comprehensive and thought provoking ideas. Cheers, Pam
Share Your Art / Re: Portraits
« Last post by Pam Stork on August 17, 2017, 12:27:50 AM »
You inspire me, Humburger. Your portraits are beautiful, especially the little girl. Like you I have many self doubts regarding my skills, but Matt somehow manages to let us find the best within ourselves and to express it in our artwork. I have been dreading doing the portrait course, but after hearing and seeing how you have progressed, I'm thinking maybe it won't be quite so scary. Well done. Keep up the great work.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10