Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Share Your Art / Re: Hummingbird in Flight
« Last post by Alan Green on December 09, 2017, 08:17:52 PM »
Spectacular.

Share Your Art / Re: Siblings
« Last post by Alan Green on December 09, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »
Good portraits.

Everyone else who's a bit nervous about portraiture - jump in. I learned loads from the Andrew Loomis book "Drawing the head and hands", and from Betty Edwards' book "Drawing on the right side of the brain".

There are shedloads of free resources online too - "Draw This" have a two hour figure-drawing video which they put out once a week. One camera allows you do draw figures, another is close-up on the model's face. "Croquis Caf
Share Your Art / Re: Pastel Landscape
« Last post by Alan Green on December 09, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »
It's good, but I think I like your farmhouses better
« Last post by Alan Green on December 09, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »
I think they're both very good. Too many artists make the mistake that snow is white.
Share Your Art / Re: Hummingbird in Flight
« Last post by dmseberg on December 09, 2017, 09:08:36 AM »
Thank you for the kind words.  I like drawing with graphite because it seems to be the easiest medium to fix your mistakes.  I wasn't joking when I said I use a lot of eraser.

I think, overall, I prefer drawing with colored pencils the best.  Although I may have to give pastel pencils a try after seeing all the great drawings done in that medium.
Share Your Art / Re: Siblings
« Last post by dmseberg on December 09, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
Very Nice! I particularly like Jessica's eyes, very expressive.  I agree with airstreamgypsy regarding portraits.  About three years ago I posted a comment on one of these forums and said that I haven't tried to draw a portrait because they seem beyond my abilities.  Three years later, I still haven't tried.

Well Done!
« Last post by argel on December 08, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »
I wanted to get a stormy sky and a windy climate, I could do a bit more work on the waves. I wanted to show how waves affect the beach, but the effect is not satisfactory to me... This is the most difficult thing, there are so many great artists whose work is breathtaking, and unfortunately there is always something wrong in my works: D I spend many hours watching great paintings by artists such as Richard McKinley or Graham Cox, I still hope to learn something from them ;-)
« Last post by argel on December 08, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
Thank you, It's very nice, I still think that the textures are inadequate.  I'm still working on it ;)
« Last post by argel on December 08, 2017, 07:07:04 PM »
I give you a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=713vNVtbDyk It's a simple method of getting snow ;-)
Share Your Art / Re: Oil Pastel Escalantes
« Last post by Humburger on December 08, 2017, 01:23:44 AM »
Well, I believe it is in the contrast.  If you make really dark dark and really light lights, then it can happen more easily.  It is hard, I know, to push the contrast.  Try it and see what happens!  :)  Darken up the shadows.  If there are no shadows, make some by choosing a position for your sun and then go for it.  If you make a total mess, stuff it in a drawer and start over.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10