TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

What's your favorite brand of drawing pencils?

jkart64

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite brand of drawing pencils?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 06:20:55 PM »
I am new to the forum so bare along LOL...
I have a set of 12 Prismacolor Premier, this set
is my main drawing pencil for graphite. its is
great for tones and easy to take care of (sharpen)
come in a tin for safe keeping.

Artsupplies

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
    • Artshed Online
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 07:24:24 AM »
Hii,

I am also the fan of Derwent pencils. These are perfect to provide nice results.

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
I really like Derwent and I got a case set royal and langnickel which has graphite pencils, charcoal pencils, graphite sticks, charcoal sticks etc.
I used these pencils to draw a dog portrait I recently finished and I quite like them.

I've just bought some General Layout pencils which I've not tried yet, I'm going to do another portrait drawing of a person and I'll give the Generals a go :-)

Jake

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 04:12:25 AM »
I really need to spend more time drawing and less time buying.  ;D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Raybrite

• +12/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2015, 11:53:44 AM »
 I haven't been to an American Art store in almost 16 years so my stock is old. I found a pencil that was smooth and could make almost and degree of darkness depending on how hard you pressed on the paper. I bought several and carried them around for years.
 I had three mechanical pencils that I used in Saudi Arabia while I was learning from books. One was a .5 HB, one was .7 B, and the other was a .9 2B.
Those worked well until I came to the Philippines and could not find the lead.
 I am still using a leadholder with a HB lead but that may go when my stock of lead runs out..
 I am still watching for my perfect pencil. I really prefer ink.

APRIL777

• +0/-0
  • You Can See Art In Nature
    • View Profile
    • Learn Portrait With Pencil
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 12:33:03 AM »
I love Staedtler pencils. With their many types of gradual tones from the lightest to the darkest I am able to make a pencil portrait that looks realistic. The light pencil like HB helps me in the drawing part and the dark tones like 4B and 8B helps me in the shading part.

Daniel Y

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 01:58:36 AM »
has anyone tried Blick Studio Drawing pencils?

I have and have found them to be one of the best wood pencils out there. I have heard info that says they are repackaged Koh-I-Noor pencils from Chezh Republic. I have both brands and cannot tell a difference.

My favorite wood pencil is Faber Castell 9000 and I have tried quite a few. I would not use General sketch pencils to throw at someone.

I also use 0.5mm mechanical pencils but am still in the process of testing lead refills for them.

2mm lead holders I have used and rejected Prismacolor Turquoise leads. I recently completed one of my best works with Koh-I-Noor Duo lead refills.

Daniel Y

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
I have put in a lot of time and expense on tis question. Mainly because it is so common for it to be asked. Many people look at my work and then assume I must know the perfect materials for them. Not at all true. The best pencil first of all is a matter of what pencil have you developed an intuition for. Second what are you wanting out of it. and finally what do you even have available to you. Sort of like a brand in the hand is better than two in the bush. My Judy Garland drawing is 5 portraits in a single drawings. each of which where drawn with a different brand of pencil. Do they all work? I say they do. All of them where significantly different. Only one of them was a complete reject. Only two of them did I like. The others I managed with but it took significant additional effort on my part to produce a good drawing. but they all will produce a good drawing. at least I think they are good.
I have purchased about 15 or so various brands of pencils either wood. 2mm lead refills or other variations of graphite. At an expense of over $100 for no other reason than to address this question. and for me and what I consider good. the Faber Castell 9000 wood pencil is hands down my favorite. Koh-I-Noor 2mm lead refills are my favorite for a lead holder. Now to be clear. Faber Castell Goldfaber also happen to be the only brand of pencil so far I will never attempt to use again. so bad I think it is an insult to call them a pencil. They are a stick with shit in them. So the very same company makes the best and the worst pencils in my opinion.