TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

A Falcon

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
    • My site (one of them anyway)
A Falcon
« on: March 07, 2017, 12:34:08 AM »
I drew this today in my spare time. I'm going to paint it but I, being a graphite guy, just had to draw it too.

Sumana Huong

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: A Falcon
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 07:33:48 AM »
that's very beautiful drawing. I have to practice much much more to be able be that good at graphite. I like graphite too.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:33:12 PM »
It's good. I'm not good with feathers; maybe I need to draw more birds

P55

• +13/-0
  • Linda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »
Very nice falcon, I hope you post the painting too!

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 07:28:47 AM »
Very nice falcon, I hope you post the painting too!
Unless it's lousy I will, paint is definitely NOT my strong point, I need to do it a lot more.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:56:18 AM by gms9810 »

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:50:17 AM »
that's very beautiful drawing. I have to practice much much more to be able be that good at graphite. I like graphite too.
I never considered myself good at any art media except digital. Anybody who has been here for a while can tell you that I've always ripped my own drawing apart, usually literally. I've become a lot more confident over time. Recently my wife, who is MUCH better than I am has convinced me to take the 10 or 12 of my really good ones and frame and hang them up.
Matt is a very good teacher, but having said that, we have to do some self teaching. I think the biggest thing is that we need to really learn observation, the most minute details. We also have to learn to be comfortable, really comfortable with the pencils. I find that any time there is a pencil in sight my fingers start to move around (seriously) and I just have to look for scrap paper to draw on.
I was in a store last year looking at something and thinking how I would draw it. A little old lady started giving me a look like she had decided to run. I followed her eyes and realized that my hand was jerking around, invisible pencil in my hand. I didn't care.
One more thing that caused me trouble at first, and you may be past this stage, was when I'd buy entire sets of pencils. The options were overwhelming. Now I have it reduced down to a 4H, 2H, 2B, 4B, 6B, and on rare occasions an 8B. A professional, his last name was Hillberry, recommended that I by a  9XXB. I've never  used it. I've tried several brands and found that I like Generals the best [and yeah, Matt's 555 layout] and in my experience Royal Langnickels are the worst.
Sorry for the babble. If I can draw, anybody can.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:56:49 AM by gms9810 »

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:55:23 AM »
It's good. I'm not good with feathers; maybe I need to draw more birds
I'm that way with faces. As much as I dislike drawing them [because I'm terrible at them], I need to draw them continuously for a month or two.
I don't know why but if I draw hot and heavy for a month or so then just stop for another month or so and start again there is a definite improvement in my drawing quality. I don't know if that's common or not.

gms9810

• +19/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 12:11:51 AM »
The acrylic version. I have another falcon that I plan to try in oils.

Sumana Huong

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 07:15:32 AM »
Thanks Gms For your encouragement and advice on types of pencils. I bought  Staedtler pencils. i have just bought them recently. I saw Generals in the Shop when I bought Staedlers but I didn't choose them because they did not sell lGenerals individual pencils. so I bought Staedtler. i'll try Generals somedays as you said it 's very good  ;D

and you new acrylic painting the falcon is very beautiful !