TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

A forum topic on portraiture

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
A forum topic on portraiture
« on: September 09, 2017, 10:03:13 PM »
I notice the forum is broken down into main topics mostly by medium or drawing vs painting.  I was wondering how much interest there would be in a topic dedicated to the subject IE Portraits/Figures/Landscapes/Still life.  Would this add value or just be too many more things to look at? 

There seems to be a bunch of us who are fairly active who are portrait enthusiast at the very least.  I am looking to get much better at my portrait art, and the best way I think is through communication with my fellow portrait artists.

Thoughts?

Izzy

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: A forum topic on portraiture
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 05:04:20 AM »
Why not, but would they be individual threads in -say - "Share Your Art" or would you want Matt to set up separate pages to talk about those subjects?

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 03:47:23 PM »
Hey Alan,

That is what I was getting at.  We can and kinda do now have a bunch of individual threads about portraits, but they are scattered in different topics and harder to keep track of that way.  If enough of us are interested, we could ask to have a topic added just for portraiture where we could start putting all those threads instead of them being spread out amongst the different mediums.

Izzy

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 05:21:12 AM »
Or maybe a single thread in "Share Your Art" - "The Big Portrait Conversation" or something - because on that page it doesn't matter what medium you use.

Humburger

• +9/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 03:18:51 AM »
I agree with Alan, that there are probably enough categories to fit it into.  It is rather nice to have a place to show and tell our art, isn't it?  And get feedback.  Honest, unbiased feedback, hopefully.  :)

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 03:18:14 AM »
I will toss my vote into the dedicated portrait category. One sub forum to discuss portraits in all mediums. and still divided by different conversations. that would help sort graphite from pastels from painting etc. I say this for a few reasons. Some of which are. Portraiture has some challenges not found in many other subjects. Trees are recognizable but like hair in a portrait. make it look "Like" hair and it is believable. a tree can pretty much be made up beyond technique that produces a believable tree. and it will be accepted as a tree to the viewer. But faces we look at all day every day. and we readily not only recognize specific faces. but we immediately are aware of details that are not correct about features of a face we have never seen before. Even liknesses of a face requires attention to details like no other subject. Another thing that causes portraits to stand out as a specific skill is the tendency toward realism. even extreme realism. Realism in portraits is actually having a resurgence in recent years. To achieve it requires awareness and techniques that most other methods do not even require. IN short I believe portraiture and where it commonly leads the artist have enough specifics to it that a dedicated place to discuss it effectively is almost a necessity.

melhenline

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 09:35:21 AM »
I LOVE that I can share my art and get feedback on what looks good and what areas need work. That is why I share here I also agree that something should be set up help recognize specific types of work, I learn specific skills to better my work, as well as help find individual threads about portraits and what comments are made that I could use. or I hope in time a comment that I could give that might help someone.  I have always wanted to have a chance to chat with ANYONE at a high skill level and learn what I can from them haveing different subject's (I think) could help bring individuals with that skill together better.