TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Digital Painting / Re: Other programs?
« Last post by Ac6wu on June 16, 2017, 04:48:54 PM »
How about Procreate? It's more than affordable and seems to be extremely popular. I've been using it exclusively after trying out at least a dozen others. As with all programs, there are a few downsides but all the upsides with Procreate more than make up for them.  ;)
Share Your Art / Rusting In Peace - My first soft pastel drawing
« Last post by Pam Stork on June 15, 2017, 04:26:05 AM »
Hi Matt and Members,
After abandoning the idea of offering a picture for a raffle prize, I decided to use one of my own photos for a reference. This is my first soft pastel drawing done outside of Matt's Secrets To Drawing course. I used Faber-Castell soft pastel sticks and Swan Carb-Othello pastel pencils on a toned art paper with a smooth tooth. The experience was really enjoyable, and whilst I tried very hard to apply what Matt had taught me, I did tend to go off on my own creative way at times, which got me into trouble, especially with the wattle tree top right sector. I learnt a lot, and even though the finished product is flawed in many ways, I can now see where I am going wrong, and have faith that I hopefully won't make the same mistakes again in my future pieces. This sense of confidence is new to me. Before joining this site and starting Matt's wonderful courses, I would have tossed in the towel after the first few strokes. Thank you, Matt for being there for people like me. Thank you for looking at my work. Cheers, Pam. (This little VW Beetle is called Jade, and he sits regally in my front yard, rusting with dignity under an old gum tree)
Suggest and Share / Re: A new, looser way
« Last post by Alan Green on June 12, 2017, 08:16:45 PM »
I'm not totally sure. I'll have to have a few more looks at this one ...

Share Your Art / Re: Copyright Issues
« Last post by Pam Stork on June 12, 2017, 05:56:25 AM »
Thanks Matt, I'm thinking it may be safest to back out of this raffle prize offer, however, I would like to post the finished drawing, if it comes out okay, on this site. I hope there won't be any problems doing that. Thanks again for all your wonderful help. I am learning so much, and of course, still have heaps to learn, but I believe I am making really good progress. Cheers, Pam
Share Your Art / Re: Copyright Issues
« Last post by on June 12, 2017, 01:58:02 AM »
Hi Pam,

I must preface this response by saying that I am not a lawyer.  :) The best solution is to use your own photos. If this can't be done, then the next best solution is to get permission from the photographer or the license holder. Many times, they are eager to give you permission.
Share Your Art / Copyright Issues
« Last post by Pam Stork on June 10, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
Hi Matt and Members,
Sorry to use this forum, but I was hoping to get a prompt response, and this seems to be the most frequently used area. I am currently doing a colour pencil drawing and an acrylic painting that I wish to donate to a car club as a pair of raffle (sweep) prizes. My problem is that I am using copyright reference photos. Will I be in breach of copyright doing this? I am in Australia. Thanks in advance.
Suggest and Share / Re: A new, looser way
« Last post by gms9810 on June 10, 2017, 06:51:39 AM »
BTW this looked a lot better before I scaled it enough to fit here. Originally it was drawn on a 12x16 canvas, oh, and I added the background digitally. I guess that technically that makes it mixed media but the woman was oil and I'm happy with her.
Suggest and Share / A new, looser way
« Last post by gms9810 on June 10, 2017, 06:47:19 AM »
After watching a few videos I decided that I've been painting wrong. I prefer to get as many details as I can, but that's not always the best way to go. Sometimes it's best to just give enough information for the brain to know what it is and fill in the rest. Drawing with less detail is called loosely. If people like this I'll draw more like it.
Share Your Art / Re: How to draw a bird using colored pencils
« Last post by fiveinthehive on June 04, 2017, 11:39:22 PM »
Adding colour makes a huge difference to your art. Nice picture.

Thank you!
Share Your Art / Re: How to draw a bird using colored pencils
« Last post by Alan Green on June 03, 2017, 07:02:14 AM »
Adding colour makes a huge difference to your art. Nice picture.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10