TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

New

melhenline

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
New
« on: October 12, 2017, 10:09:06 PM »
I have been working the areas that had been pointed out to me on the other work I shared, Thank you this was just the type of help I have been looking for someone helping find what I need to work on and what I am doing right.
This has really opened up something for me and I am extremely excited. I have never shown my drawing other than to friends and family so I do not think I gave the same type of effort as I have on this one.

Sumana Huong

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
beautiful portrait. Hair is very lovely too but if you add more darker shade it will look even better.

Humburger

• +7/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
You have obviously improved in your form and contours.  Very nice. 

melhenline

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2017, 08:56:04 AM »
Thank you very much for your comment's, the reason it did not add more shading is I end up overdoing it and it becomes way too dark. it is another thing I have been working on.

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 01:59:43 PM »
Wonderful contours and blending of your tones. I agree with the hair. but I also see it is in contrast with how smooth you are getting the contours of the skin. Bad news for you is that as your technique develops for one part fo a drawing you need to build up the others. most struggle a lot with hair.  Another struggle I have had was the getting to dark issue. One big answer I found was the eraser. Now that was not meant to be funny, I am serious. you can go to dark and then lift off graphite with a kneaded eraser or even a product called Blu Tack. This putting on and lifting off gives me an entirely different effect than simply trying to put graphite on paper the way I want it to look. THis then leads me to some suggestions on hair. Hair very much needs that effect of putting on and lifting off of graphite. in this case it is more of a smudge it. I know that sounds completely wrong. But I draw my hair. paying attention to the major contours. think of locks of hair not individual strands. and get those in place roughly. I then give each lock a bit of contour. some shading in places. I then use a tombow Mono eraser to put some very fine highlights where needed. I then use a very soft brush and brush over the entire thing. keeping in mind that the highlights I added will end up beig the darkest fo all my highlights. again I add some dark lines where shadows are. pull out some fine lines with the eraser and brush it again. I may do this 3, 6 even over a dozen times. When I first start doing hair I also try to look as deep into the head of hair as I can looking for those areas way back in the back that can still barely be seen that might be flowing in different directions. I put those I and then later draw hair in another direction right over the top. Take some paper and intentional play around with this whole idea. After about 3 repeats I think you will start to see a transformation in how your hair looks. Many Many hundreds of layers of varying tones. most of which are one laying over another. Very soft brush that you barely see it do anything but it is. it us blending all those lines just a very tiny bit.

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 02:01:10 PM »
Oh and about getting the hair to dark this way. you darken and then lighten so you are in complete control of what hair color you have at the end. Again you can lighten it all completely back up with the eraser. just apply the graphite softly so it will erase.

melhenline

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
That is kind of funny you say eraser, My husband wants to take away my eraser because I use it way too much I have been using paper towels or tissue paper it helps out the most the ''how to'' that showed their blinding tip used a cotton ball but the soft papers help me the most. This is a drawing of me  ;) and this is the way I have been styling it now, I did pull it out again to see if I could maybe give it a bit more shadow without destroying it.