TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Please vote for my next graphite drawing subject

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Please vote for my next graphite drawing subject
« on: October 05, 2017, 05:26:13 PM »
I am seeking some outside input into my next subject. Please vote for your favorite of these references. One I am getting way to may things I want to draw and these images are a toss up for me. Second I want to start producing drawings that will be as popular with the general public as possible so I can offer them online as prints. So I am trying to find subjects with general appeal. I appreciate every ones vote for their favorite (A, B or C). Thanks.

Humburger

• +10/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
Re: Please vote for my next graphite drawing subject
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2017, 11:59:48 PM »
I vote for A.  It will definitely be a challenge.  :-)

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 07:32:05 AM »
Hmmm,  Tough call between A and C.  I think C has more to offer from an expressive standpoint.  A has the appeal of being able to show off your technical prowess, but the general public doesn't understand that kind of thing.  It does have the benefit of being a baby animal, which everyone loves.

I think if the experiment is in profitability vs effort, my vote would be C.  If done well (of which I have no doubts) It will display as a work of fine and dramatic art, will probably have good general public appeal, and a good chance to sell.

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 03:04:47 PM »
thank you both. Izzy you seemed to be very well dialed in on the issue. I posted this question in 5 different locations. so far A is heavily, nearly unanimously the favorite among other artists. While C is clearly the choice of non artists. Most comments from the non artist group indicate they identify with the Angel. So far to me it indicates that cute is a powerful factor. but connection wins out if the connection is a strong one. many make comments something like. I know how that angel feels. I think it takes the portrait from being an angel to some degree being them. This has been a very interesting  experiment. Very few comments from the artist but my impression is that their favor of A has to do with the skill required such as you mention. Of course it is a cute subject but they still struggle between A and C and A wins for them due to technical challenges. As you point out. None artists would not have the sense of what it would take to set down and get the drawing done. and that appeal is big for the artists.

izzychase

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 04:57:34 PM »
Thanks Daniel.  One of my previous careers was in building and selling custom vehicles.  I learned then the difference in art for expression and art for profitability.  A bike with amazing paintwork, flames, pinstripes, etc... while beautiful will sit around for a long time waiting for someone who is looking for "That bike" to come along and buy it.  Meanwhile, 5 or 6 plane black and chrome bikes will sell.

People will always love and appreciate art which is of a high quality, but will typically only buy art that resonates with them, or just because it will hang well with the rest of their decoration.  The baby elephant would certainly be a sell-able work to a very small audience, African art enthusiast, people who love elephants, something like that.  You would sell 5 of the fallen angel in the same time while waiting for the 1 elephant fan to come along though.

Izzy

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »
I have not gotten any further votes in the past 24 hours from any of the locations I posted this. Final tally was 12 votes for A and 13 for C. It was pretty close to purely artists for A and purely non artists for C. Izzy above being a fine example of an exception to that. One important thing I consider while looking at those votes is exemplified by Izzy as well. Consideration of the question. What will sell? Most artists chose A because of what it would take and demonstrate to create from a skills required perspective. They find A interesting because it would be challenging. Which why do we as artist draw. because we love the challenge of creating. Once completed we tuck that drawing away and look ahead to the next one. A completed work of art has lost a large percentage of it's value to us. One other artist from another group actually stated they liked C much better but voted for A. Because A was more appropriate for posting on that particular site. Sort of like saying. I pick A because you can post your progress here. How clearly is that showing her pick had to do with being able to show the progress. show the ability over all else. Due to some things like that A may be only one vote behind C in the final count. but it is weak votes for A against strong votes for C. And here is why I consider C strong votes. Nearly every non artist that voted for C and that was most of them. Did so with some comment about how C felt like it had a part of them in it. Now that was a stunning comment to me. Just how many subjects can you draw that allows you to in effect draw a portion of every person that views it. I will in fact draw both. C will simply be the first. But I think this whole thing showed me something very important about my subject selection. When selecting my subjects. it is important to recognize not how much my audience may like it. but how much my audience is in it. Thanks for helping out with this.

Humburger

• +10/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2017, 01:29:58 PM »
A very interesting analysis, Daniel.  I actually had two reasons for choosing A:  the cuteness/challenge and the fact that I avoid nudity.  The C picture is very beautiful, but I would clothe her in some way.  I know that many artists have strong opinions FOR nudity, but I am against.  I hope you sell your elephant picture and many, many prints of it.  And your angel picture, I'm sure, will be quite lovely.  😃