TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Jack Hamm Mouth and noses

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Jack Hamm Mouth and noses
« on: October 01, 2017, 01:02:15 PM »
From the book I am looking at by Jack Hamm. multiple exampels of how to simply deal with mouths and noses. One thing good about Jack. he shows a lot of ways to do everything. there are even more examples for both eye sand particularly noses in his book. Most of the rest are either additional shapes or very graphic black and white methods that I am not going to study for now.

Humburger

• +7/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
Re: Jack Hamm Mouth and noses
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 03:11:10 AM »
Daniel, it looks like you are having fun with Jack Hamm's book.  Keep up the good work.  Them are some nice mouths.  But, I didn't know that it was possible to distinguish between male and female noses.  LOL!  I will have to pay more attention...  :)

Daniel Y

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Hamm Mouth and noses
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 04:16:59 PM »
Humburger, Not sure I agree with the differentiation between male and female noses. That is Jacks claim. He does specifically express that male noses are more angular and I guess something of a rugged touch to them. you also emphasis shadows along the side of the nose. I am not sure if that is specific to illustration or not. but his method is focused toward illustration although he shows a lot of different ways to draw something. So just like mens faces. noses are sharper and harsher. and womens are rounder and softer. You also play down a lot more of the details of a woman's nose. keeping them "Soft and delicate". Not my words just passing on the info. Keep in mind this book was written in the 50's when society considered a woman's greatest ambition was to keep a husband happy. Personal observation has shown me that there are plenty of women with rugged noses.