TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Share Your Art / Bird on a tree - in soft pastels, from a January 2017 newsletter
« Last post by Alan Green on December 15, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »
Well, the School hols are upon us, I've been into two schools in the last two days to see one last student at each and they've both been off.

So, time for something a little different. I get Matt's newsletter and I need to do more in colour; so here it is, from a lesson back in January. Matt used soft pastels and pastel pencils; I just used soft pastels. Support? You know that bit of card that's in the envelopes they use to send out Exam Certificates? It's an A4 size bit of that.

Share Your Art / Re: The eagle has landed.
« Last post by Humburger on December 14, 2017, 09:46:41 PM »
Absolutely stunning!  I understand about the shine.  If you are okay with charcoal, that is good.  It worked really well for you.  I cannot use charcoal, I just make a mess.  LOL!  What I do is just go ahead and make as much shine as I need to and then I spray it when I am done and the shine goes away.  That is a beautiful picture, the drawing, the contrast, the composition.  I love it how it is catching him/her in action!  Keep 'em comin'!  :)
Share Your Art / The eagle has landed.
« Last post by Videowoman on December 14, 2017, 08:14:05 PM »
This time I started with a graphite pencil but I was not sattisfied because I could not get it dark enough without shining. So I put charcoal on it. It was quiet a challenche because charcoal is much harsher to work with. I had to think realy hard on how to get the texture right and how to get white feathers on white paper. This is the result.
Share Your Art / Re: Siblings
« Last post by Humburger on December 14, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »
Thanks for the lovely comments.  Videowoman, I don't exactly know how I get the softness.  LOL!  I do a lot of blending, I do know that.  I draw, blend, erase, draw again, blend, blend, erase, draw, blend, erase, erase, erase, blend, draw, erase, etc., ad nauseum.  LOL!  When it is all over, I am in a daze and don't know what happened.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  At least in my mind.  :)
Share Your Art / Re: Hummingbird in Flight
« Last post by Humburger on December 14, 2017, 02:58:40 PM »
How did I mess this one?  That hummingbird is stunning!  I love it!
Share Your Art / Re: Happy horse
« Last post by Humburger on December 14, 2017, 02:57:39 PM »
I can understand your reasoning.  The important thing is that you enjoy it.  I must say that you can push the values and still have softness, but, the way it is, it is a lovely picture.  I hope you do more and share them here.  :)
Share Your Art / Re: Hummingbird in Flight
« Last post by dmseberg on December 14, 2017, 08:21:51 AM »
Alan and Videowoman,

Thank you for your comments.  They are very much appreciated.

I had originally intended to include a blurred background which I thought might highlight the bird better but after I had completed a good portion of the drawing, I realized it probably would have been a better idea to draw the background before the bird.  I believe it would be too difficult, at this point, to draw a smooth gradation around the bird and the flowers once they had already been drawn.

Lesson learned for next time I suppose.
Drawing in General / Re: Ballpoint pen portrait practice
« Last post by Adam Miller on December 14, 2017, 02:32:56 AM »
I am interested.   Thanks,
« Last post by Videowoman on December 12, 2017, 09:39:55 AM »
Thank you Humburger for your lovely feedback. I know that for artistic reason I should push the contrast but the problem is that I like the softtones more. I think it expresses more love into the picture. In reality the picture is much more clear. I do not like it when there is so much contrast even if it would made my picture better in an artistic way. Perhaps I will change this point of view in the future but not for now.
« Last post by Humburger on December 11, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
What a very beautiful picture!  Good job!  I do have some suggestions for you, though.  I think one of the secrets of drawing is to push the contrasts.  I know it is said over and over, but it is true.  When you have really dark darks and really light lights it makes such a difference.  The horse's eye is an example of that.  The drawing is beautiful, but that eye is wonderful beyond everything else.  If I am not making myself clear (and I am probably not...), try these videos on the virtual instructor site:

Module 5 in the Secrets to Drawing course
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/members/the-secrets-to-drawing-value/

Modules 5 and 6 in the Pencil Drawing -- The Guide to Graphite course
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/members/the-guide-to-graphite-light-and-shadow-part-1/
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/members/the-guide-to-graphite-light-and-shadow-part-2/

How to Make a Value Finder
http://thevirtualinstructor.com/make-a-value-finder.html

I am assuming that you are a member. 

Keep up the good work!  :-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10