TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

HELP Please. Over blended using Prismacolor Premier colourless blender

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
  • Perfect never finishes.
    • View Profile
Hi, I desperately need help.
I am working on a coloured pencil drawing using Prismacolour Premier pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes 160 GSM toned paper. I have used a Prismacolor colourless blender on an area over an initial layer of white and now the surface has gone waxy and I can't apply anymore colour over that section, and I really need to add extra value and a bit of detail.
This was to be a birthday present for my husband, and now I'm afraid I have ruined it and will need to start again.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
I have attached a photo showing the area in question. It's the dull bit under the dog's neck between the shadowed brown and the light layer of white.
Thanks.
Cheers Pam
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:41:46 AM by Pam Stork »

Anna

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
What a lovely start on the head.  I love doing portraits of my pets as well.  I'm not sure if you are referring to the waxy colorless blender or the liquid one; the waxy one I suspect.  I would suggest used odorless mineral spirits to blend but I'm not sure how Mi-tientes paper will hold up to that.  Sorry I can't be more help but I got frustrated with dry blending some time ago and mostly use OMS now.  I hope you've gotten more useful advice....that really has the makings of a very nice painting.

WindyVA

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
  My thought was turpenoid on a cue tip well blotted before rubbing waxy area (test on sample first).   Perhaps a smaller craft cotton swab.  Also might consider trying 15 micron polishing paper that might pick up the wax enough to allow new application of pencil.  I also wonder if polychromals might work in that particular area after some wax removal if the wax pencils still won't cover. 

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
  • Perfect never finishes.
    • View Profile
Thanks Anna and WindyVA for your advice. I was too timid to try turpenoid, even though I thought it might help. I was using a waxy colourless blender. I tried just about every medium available to me, such as other colour pencils, stick pastels, pastel pencils. I did consider using a bit of sandpaper to make the surface abrasive, but chickened out. In the end I used oil pastels in that area. It was wax on wax, so I felt game enough to try. It sort of worked, but I was never able to get the values or detail I wanted. Feeling frustrated, I actually finished the piece off with soft pastels - sticks and pencils. You can see the difference, and the pastels didn't always cover the pencil areas I had already laid down, but I was desperate to finish as it was a birthday present, and I only had a few days to get it completed. I've posted a photo of the finished drawing. It really does look better in real life. I could have photo shopped it, but I thought you might like to see the differing strokes and textures.
Thanks again everyone. It was a real learning experience for me.

WindyVA

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
It looks good.  Good thing that you kept going and made it work!!!  Probably learned a lot in the process that will be useful to later pursuits.  And thank you for your feedback.