TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

HELP Please. Over blended using Prismacolor Premier colourless blender

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
  • Perfect never finishes.
    • View Profile
Hi, I desperately need help.
I am working on a coloured pencil drawing using Prismacolour Premier pencils on Canson Mi-Teintes 160 GSM toned paper. I have used a Prismacolor colourless blender on an area over an initial layer of white and now the surface has gone waxy and I can't apply anymore colour over that section, and I really need to add extra value and a bit of detail.
This was to be a birthday present for my husband, and now I'm afraid I have ruined it and will need to start again.
Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
I have attached a photo showing the area in question. It's the dull bit under the dog's neck between the shadowed brown and the light layer of white.
Thanks.
Cheers Pam
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 02:41:46 AM by Pam Stork »

Anna

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
What a lovely start on the head.  I love doing portraits of my pets as well.  I'm not sure if you are referring to the waxy colorless blender or the liquid one; the waxy one I suspect.  I would suggest used odorless mineral spirits to blend but I'm not sure how Mi-tientes paper will hold up to that.  Sorry I can't be more help but I got frustrated with dry blending some time ago and mostly use OMS now.  I hope you've gotten more useful advice....that really has the makings of a very nice painting.

WindyVA

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
  My thought was turpenoid on a cue tip well blotted before rubbing waxy area (test on sample first).   Perhaps a smaller craft cotton swab.  Also might consider trying 15 micron polishing paper that might pick up the wax enough to allow new application of pencil.  I also wonder if polychromals might work in that particular area after some wax removal if the wax pencils still won't cover. 

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
Thanks Anna and WindyVA for your advice. I was too timid to try turpenoid, even though I thought it might help. I was using a waxy colourless blender. I tried just about every medium available to me, such as other colour pencils, stick pastels, pastel pencils. I did consider using a bit of sandpaper to make the surface abrasive, but chickened out. In the end I used oil pastels in that area. It was wax on wax, so I felt game enough to try. It sort of worked, but I was never able to get the values or detail I wanted. Feeling frustrated, I actually finished the piece off with soft pastels - sticks and pencils. You can see the difference, and the pastels didn't always cover the pencil areas I had already laid down, but I was desperate to finish as it was a birthday present, and I only had a few days to get it completed. I've posted a photo of the finished drawing. It really does look better in real life. I could have photo shopped it, but I thought you might like to see the differing strokes and textures.
Thanks again everyone. It was a real learning experience for me.

WindyVA

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
It looks good.  Good thing that you kept going and made it work!!!  Probably learned a lot in the process that will be useful to later pursuits.  And thank you for your feedback.

CockerSpaniel

• +0/-0
  • Make time to find the things that you love
    • View Profile
Re: HELP Please. Over blended using Prismacolor Premier colourless blender
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 03:15:15 PM »
I can imagine that it was frustrating when you already put so much energy in the head of the dog and it turned out so well.
Good thing you kept on going!
It is so beatifull!!

I've bought a set of 2 pensels form Derwent.
One is a colouless blender, the other is a burnisher.

Derwent 'says' that you should use the last one at the end when you've finished (to give it a waxy look I guess??).

I'm new to working with colored pensels (even new to creating art :D) but the colorless blenders does fairly well.
Although it does blend and with that it makes all the colorless bright (less value?). But definitely less then when you would burnish/blend with a white pensel.

I hope this helps a bit

you're drawing is beautiful!

Humburger

• +1/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 03:44:12 PM »
Yes!  That is a beautiful picture!  I love his pose. 

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 07:37:05 AM »
Thanks WindyVA, Cocker Spaniel and Humburger, I almost gave up on colour pencils because of my mistake on this one, but have now started Matt's Colour Pencil course, and I am learning that you really have to respect pencils, and if you do, you get amazing results, if you do what Matt teaches. ☺️😉

izzychase

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2017, 06:07:22 AM »
I have never tried with colored pencils, but when I get too much oil pastel built up on a surface I scrape it back down with a razor right to the paper.  The paper with be stained (for lack of a better term) with the first layer or so of color, but you can build your layers right back up no problem, and it is typically pretty easy to blend the repair right into the rest of the piece.  I have used sandpaper also but prefer the razor blade.