Rusting In Peace - My first soft pastel drawing

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
  • Perfect never finishes.
    • View Profile
Rusting In Peace - My first soft pastel drawing
« on: June 15, 2017, 04:26:05 AM »
Hi Matt and Members,
After abandoning the idea of offering a picture for a raffle prize, I decided to use one of my own photos for a reference. This is my first soft pastel drawing done outside of Matt's Secrets To Drawing course. I used Faber-Castell soft pastel sticks and Swan Carb-Othello pastel pencils on a toned art paper with a smooth tooth. The experience was really enjoyable, and whilst I tried very hard to apply what Matt had taught me, I did tend to go off on my own creative way at times, which got me into trouble, especially with the wattle tree top right sector. I learnt a lot, and even though the finished product is flawed in many ways, I can now see where I am going wrong, and have faith that I hopefully won't make the same mistakes again in my future pieces. This sense of confidence is new to me. Before joining this site and starting Matt's wonderful courses, I would have tossed in the towel after the first few strokes. Thank you, Matt for being there for people like me. Thank you for looking at my work. Cheers, Pam. (This little VW Beetle is called Jade, and he sits regally in my front yard, rusting with dignity under an old gum tree)

Elle121208

• +16/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Rusting In Peace - My first soft pastel drawing
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »
Very very nice. Love the car. Great job.

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 08:01:15 AM »
Thank you Elle. ☺️

Humburger

• +1/-0
  • Nature is God's art. -- Dante
    • View Profile
    • Virginia C. McCoy Fine Art
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 01:00:39 AM »
Pam,

Are you the same one in the recent Member's Minute?  You do a wonderful job.  :)  I didn't read your post before I posted mine, but we are both singing the praises of Matt and his site.

I'm glad you are enjoying it, too.  It is so exciting to feel yourself improving!  I love both of your bug pictures.  :)

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 01:32:30 AM »
Hi Humburger, yes I did the drawing that Matt featured this week. What a thrill. I only sent in my picture last week. I can't believe he did the critique so quickly. It's not possible to describe just how fantastic this site is. I keep looking back at the drawings I did just a couple of months ago, before beginning with Matt, and even I'm astounded at the improvement. I now have more than ten completed pictures. I never finished a piece of art work before, ever! I now have the confidence to not only start a drawing, but I know I can finish it because I understand techniques I never knew existed. I used to drool over other people's work, wondering how they did what they did so well. The Secrets to Drawing course has unlocked that mystery for me. Thank you for your kind comments on my drawings. I look forward to seeing some of your work. Cheers, Pam

Anna

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 04:09:40 AM »
This is such a cool picture.  Absolutely love the idea....brought a big smile to me.

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 04:47:54 AM »
Thanks Anna.

Mrs Doodler

• +7/-0
  • student artist studying Matt's video courses :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
 :) i was going to ask you if that was you in members minute.
I love this drawing, its done really well and you have captured the cars ageing process really well.
I m always saying how brilliant Matt is and his site.

Its been a while since i posted in here but ive been unwell for a good while and im having issues with motivation because of it.
Im now hopefully trying to get back to it ☺

fgpenna

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 12:17:47 PM »
I really like your drawing.  You captured the finish on the old car perfectly.  Nicely done

izzychase

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 05:47:35 AM »
Pam,

I love this painting.  I am fascinated by the glass in the rear right window of the VW.  I am baffling myself trying to think of how I would replicate it.  Job well done.

I completely agree with you.  Matt's courses have given me a confidence I never had before with my art.  Wonderful stuff.

Again, great job!

Izzy

Pam Stork

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 05:54:41 AM »
Thanks Izzychase,
When I was drawing the reflections in that rear window I was worried because the actual branches weren't visible in the picture pane, but in the end, I thought it didn't matter because you trusted they were there, even if you couldn't see them. I just did what Matt teaches, which was to draw what I was seeing, the shapes, values, etc, and not try to think about what was really happening. It was a challenge, and I was thrilled with the result. I just wish I could draw backgrounds, they are my Archilles Heel. I wonder if Matt has given a lesson on backgrounds?  Cheers, Pam
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 06:24:47 AM by Pam Stork »