TheVirtualInstructor.com Forum

Graphite tree

Elee00

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
Graphite tree
« on: April 04, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »
I'm getting unmotivated after trying and trying and watching over and over Matt's graphite tree video
......  Any suggestions....  I've tried with colored pencils as well.  Prisma. Arrghhhhhh I've tried on different papers. Right now I'm using  an HB 2b 4b 6b and 8b  graphite pencils
.... Canson paper.

Alan Green

• +23/-2
    • View Profile
    • Rollmop Music
Re: Graphite tree
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2017, 08:30:14 PM »
I'm not following the video lessons, but some things come up in all kids of learning

First up - follow the instructions to the letter. Stick to plain graphite pencils - as close as you can get to what Matt suggests. The graphite pencils you're using will cover most eventualities.

Changing the paper won't make your drawing any better. What you're using now will be fine

Secondly - follow the instructions to the letter. The nice thing about video is you can rewind it and listen a few times before doing something. Draw the same lines and curves as Matt. Look at it closely once you've done so; if it doesn't look like what Matt's drawn, erase it and do it again until it does. It's very easy to look at the video, see what Matt does, then draw what you think he might have meant.

Thirdly - take your time. I drew a simple A4-sized graphite back-view sketch of a seated nude this morning and it took me 35 minutes. A tree could easily take an hour - ask Dave, he draws a lot of trees but I haven't seen him around here for a while.

Finally - enjoy it. Your tree might not look how you want it to; it certainly won't look how you thought it might come out, but it's a journey and you will have learned a lot.

Then show it to us.